Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Scatman Crothers - Entertainer

That's my autographed photo of Scatman on the left. Thanks ebay.

I was first introduced to Scatman Crothers by way of Saturday morning cartoons. He was the voice of Hanna-Barbera's Hong Kong Phooey as well as Meadowlark Lemon from the animated Harlem Globetrotters. Later on he was the voice of Jazz from the Transformers (but I never watched that show). Before all that Scatman lent his voice to Disney as Scat Cat in The Aristocats where he sang Ev'rybody Wants To Be A Cat.

I was introduced to Scatman a second time watching 70's sitcoms. I don't think there was a show in the 70's Scatman didn't guest star. My favorite Scatman appearances were from Sanford and Son, Kojak, The Odd Couple, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, Taxi, and The Love Boat. I especially liked Scatman in his recurring role as Louie the garbage man on Chico and the Man.

The third time I was introduced to Scatman was watching his films. He was in three Jack Nicholson movies; The Shining, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and The King of Marvin Gardens – he was Jack's friend. He also had roles in Silver Streak, Bronco Billy and my own guilty pleasure Zapped! Scatman also starred in a string of blaxploitation flicks like Black Belt Jones, Friday Foster, Truck Turner and Slaughter's Big Rip-off.

The last time I was introduced to Scatman was through his music. I found the record Gone with Scatman Crothers in my wife's grandparents basement and instantly fell in love with it – partly because I felt like I've known him all my life. From there I tried finding all of Scatman's recordings – and there are a lot of 'em. Through my search I found a cat named Scott...well he actually found me...and through a trade he hooked me up with nearly all of Scatman's remaining tunes.

Ladies and gentlemen...please allow me to introduce you to the familiar voice of the Scat Cat Man...

[DOWNLOAD] Scatman Crothers Mix

01. Exactly Like You -- Oh Yeah! (CD)
02. I Got Rhythm -- Oh Yeah! (CD)
03. Ghost Riders In The Sky -- Oh Yeah! (CD)

04. Everybody Wants To Be A Cat -- Vista Records 45rpm (1969)
05. I'm The Scat Man -- Vista Records 45rpm (1969)
06. Golly Zonk! (It's The Scat Man) -- Hanna-Barbera Records 45rpm (1966)

07. I'd Rather Be A Rooster (With A Flock Of Chicks) -- London Records 78rpm (1950)
08. Have You Got The Gumption (To Make An Assumption) -- Capitol Records 78rpm (1949)
09. Pork N' Beans -- Century Records 78rpm (1955)

10.Hong Kong Phooey -- Television's Greatest Hits (CD)

Scatman even dabbled in stand-up comedy!

[DOWNLOAD] Scatman Crothers - Comedy Sweepstakes

01. Side A
02. Side B



For more Scatman Crothers click here.

4 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

Great post and even greater stuff - that autographed pic is fantastic!

Mizarkey said...

nice post
I had the HKPhooey lunchbox in 1st grade I think. Stared at that pic a lot.

Blair said...

Hey, I have another Scatman song from the late '40s, "I Want to Rock and Roll." Send me your email at http://www.myspace.com/hwy13 and I'll send you a copy.
Cheers,
Blair

AFROVIKING PHOTOGRAPHY said...

WOW, just came across this. Could someone please re-up all of this.

:D

THANKS!!!!