Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jerry Reed

My introduction to the talents of Jerry Reed came from his role in the Burt Reynolds film Smokey and the Bandit. I was even more impressed when I learned he wrote and performed it's theme song, "East Bound and Down". Jerry must've been friends with Burt because besides starring in all three Bandit movies he also starred in two other Reynolds films: W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings and Gator – the latter Jerry again supplied the theme song.

Jerry also starred in High-Ballin' – again typecast as a truck driver. He was also in another personal favorite, Hot Stuff, which starred Dom DeLuise whom Jerry worked with on Smokey and the Bandit II.

I have fond memories of Jerry popping up on TV when I was a kid, too. He was on Alice and Mama's Family and even helped solve mysteries with Scooby Doo.







It wasn't till years later that I started to appreciate the music of Jerry Reed. He's actually an amazing guitarist with a lightning-fast finger-picking style. His lyrics are little tales and often very funny which I enjoy. Maybe you will, too...

East Bound And Down by Jerry Reed from Smokey and the Bandit soundtrack
Ballad Of Gator McKlusky by Jerry Reed from Gator: Motion Picture Soundtrack
Amos Moses by Jerry Reed from RCA Country Legends
She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft) by Jerry Reed from RCA Country Legends

Here's Jerry Reed performing Alabama Jubilee...

No comments: